Published: Tuesday, 21 September 2021 07:31
Pretty much every new TV is a 4K TV. Here are our favorites. David Katzmaier Sept. 17, 2021 4:30 p.m. PT
- Best 4K TV for the money TCL 6-Series Jump to details $948 at Amazon
- Best 4K TV, money no object LG OLEDG1P series Jump to details $2,797 at Best Buy
- Best high-end 4K TV for the money LG OLEDCXP series Jump to details $1,997 at Amazon
- Best OLED alternative in a 4K TV Samsung QN90A series Jump to details $2,000 at Samsung
- Best budget 4K TV (Update: Unavailable) TCL 4-Series Jump to details $570 at Target
- Best 4K TV for the money runner-up Vizio M-Series Quantum Jump to details $700 at Best Buy
- Best budget TV runner-up Vizio V-series Jump to details $492 at Walmart
- Best midpriced 4K TV alternative to TCL, Vizio Sony X90J series Jump to details $1,498 at Amazon
- Best design, features in a midpriced TV Samsung Q60A series Jump to details $678 at Crutchfield
4K resolution is no longer an expensive step-up feature. Most TVs with a screen size of at least 43 inches are available in 4K resolution and prices for 4K TVs are now basically equivalent to older, lower-resolution 1080p TVs. It's hard to find any model that isn't 4K if you're shopping for a 50-inch screen or bigger.
The best 4K TV screen may be more affordable than you think. The popular TCL 4-Series, which I like a lot as an entry-level option, starts at a budget TV price of less than $300 for the 43-inch model.
As you might expect at those prices, 4K resolution on a screen doesn't necessarily mean great picture quality. All those millions of pixels -- 8,294,440 to be exact -- don't have much of an impact on how good the image looks. The best-performing TVs in our reviews and the best TVs for the money excel in other areas of picture quality, such as contrast, dynamic range, peak brightness and HDR performance. If you're looking for a gaming TV, you'll also want to consider factors like input lag. These TVs have 4K resolution, too, but that's basically table stakes these days.
The list below represents the best 4K televisions (which are, let's face it, the best TVs, full stop) I've reviewed in CNET's test lab, where I compare them side by side to see which ones are most worth buying. I considered factors like picture quality, design, smart TV functionality, connectivity and more (basically, everything you need to watch your favorite TV shows and make the most of your Fire TV stick or streaming apps). Here are my latest recommendations, with the following notes to keep in mind:
- Unless noted otherwise, all of the prices you'll see are for 65-inch models.
- Looking for a specific screen size? Check out: 32-inch TVs, 43-inch TVs, 55-inch TVs, 65-inch TVs and 75-inch TVs.
- Some of the TVs below came out in 2020. New 2021 models are now available and we've reviewed a handful so far. For the 2020 TVs on this list I've included a "2021 outlook" section with everything I know (so far) about the new models.
- If you're worried that new 2021 TVs will have some great feature or picture quality enhancement you'll miss out on if you buy a TV now, relax. TVs are generally a mature technology and our advice is that if you need a new TV now, you should get one.
Read more: Do this to your TV now: 9 crucial settings to improve the picture
Best 4K TV for the money
TCL 6-SeriesSarah Tew/CNET ED I T O R S ’ C H O I C E Nov 2020
No TV I've ever tested offers this much picture quality for this little cash. The 2020 TCL 6-Series has a superb picture thanks to mini-LED tech and well-implemented full-array local dimming that helps it run circles around just about any other TV at this price. This 4K UHD TV is also a solid choice for gamers with a THX mode that combines low input lag and high contrast. As if that's not enough, the Roku TV operating system is our hands-down favorite.
Sizes: 55-, 65-, 75-inch.
2021 outlook: TCL says this TV will remain on sale through most of 2021. I don't expect it to be replaced until at least the fall, and it might stick around the entire year. An 85-inch version will be released "in the coming months." TCL will also sell an 8K version of the 6-Series, but I don't think it will be worth the money.
Read our TCL 6-Series (2020 Roku TV) review.
$948 at Amazon $898 at Walmart $885 at Best Buy
Best 4K TV, money no object
LG OLEDG1P seriesSarah Tew/CNET
What's that you say? You just want the best TV and can afford whatever you want? Here you go. In my side-by-side tests, the LG G1 OLED TV is the best TV I've ever reviewed, with world-beating contrast, perfect wide viewing angle and excellent uniformity. This OLED TV beat the picture of the LG CX below, barely, and offers a slimmer, more wall-friendly design. If you can afford it, this is the 4K television to get.
Read our LG OLEDG1 series review.
$2,797 at Best Buy $2,697 at Crutchfield $2,622 at Amazon
Best high-end 4K TV for the money
LG OLEDCXP seriesDavid Katzmaier/CNET ED I T O R S ’ C H O I C E Nov 2020
Currently available for hundreds less than the G1 above, and with picture quality that's almost as good, the CX from 2020 is a better choice overall for people who want a really nice OLED TV but don't have money to burn. The G1 was slightly brighter in my measurements and has slightly better video processing, but it was really hard to tell the difference. The only real advantage to the G1 is that slim styling, but the CX is pretty slim itself.
Sizes: 48-, 55-, 65-, 77-inch.
2021 outlook: The new model, designated C1, is currently available for a few hundred more than the CX. I haven't reviewed it yet. It adds a new 83-inch size, some minor new features and improved processing, but I expect image quality to be largely the same as the CX.
Read our LG OLEDCX series review.
$1,997 at Amazon $2,000 at Best Buy $2,800 at Target
Best OLED alternative in a 4K TV
Samsung QN90A seriesDavid Katzmaier/CNET
Looking for a high-end 4K TV with spectacular image quality, but don't want an OLED? The Samsung QN90A is your best bet. This TV uses QLED tech augmented by mini-LED, for a brighter image than any OLED TV. The spectacular contrast of OLED still won out in my side-by-side tests, but the QN90A comes closer than ever. It's also a bit cheaper than 2021 OLED TVs (but not cheaper than the 2020 CX) and available in a wider range of sizes.
Sizes: 50-, 55-, 65-, 75-, 85-inch.
Read our Samsung QN90A series (2021) review.
$2,000 at Samsung $1,998 at Crutchfield $1,998 at Amazon
Best budget 4K TV (Update: Unavailable)
TCL 4-SeriesSarah Tew/CNET
Roku is our favorite platform for live TV streaming services like Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime Video, and it's even better baked into the TV. This TCL 4-Series can't beat any of the models above on image quality -- its 4K resolution and HDR performance don't do much to help the picture -- but it's perfectly fine for most people, especially at this price.
Sizes: 43-, 50-, 55-, 65-, 75-, 85-inch. (The prices shown below are for the 43-inch size.)
Read our TCL S425 series (Roku TV) review.
$570 at Target
Best 4K TV for the money runner-up
Vizio M-Series Quantum
Aside from the TCL 6-Series above, this is the runner-up for best TV for the money. The TCL has a better picture and better smart TV system so it's a superior TV overall, but it's also a couple hundred dollars more expensive. If you can't afford the 6-Series, this Vizio is a very good choice.
Sizes: 50-, 55-, 65-inch.
2021 outlook: The successor to this TV is the MQ7-J series. It looks very similar on paper -- the major difference is a new voice remote and a larger selection of sizes. It ships in July, and initial list pricing is significantly higher than the 2020 version, ranging from $200 to $300 more depending on size.
Read our Vizio M7-Series Quantum (2020) review.
$700 at Best Buy
Best budget TV runner-up
Vizio V-seriesGeoffrey Morrison/CNET
Vizio's V-series is our favorite budget alternative to the TCL 4-Series Roku TV. We liked Roku's smart TV system better (sound familiar?), but the V-series has some advantages, including a better remote with voice and more advanced picture settings. Picture quality between the two was basically the same, so if you don't have a preference, it makes sense to get the cheapest one.
Sizes: 43-, 50-, 55-, 58- 65-, 75-inch.
Read our Vizio V-series (2021) review.
$492 at Walmart $500 at Target
Best midpriced 4K TV alternative to TCL, Vizio
Sony X90J seriesDavid Katzmaier/CNET
With excellent picture quality, anchored by full-array local dimming and plenty of brightness to make HDR shine, the X90J is Sony's answer to the TCL 6-Series and step-up Vizio models. Sleek looks and the Google TV operating system score additional points, as does its next-gen console support (it has 4K/120fps inputs and Sony promises VRR... sometime) and built-in NextGen TV tuner. If you want an "S" brand, this is one of the best values we've tested.
Sizes: 50-, 55-, 65-, 75-inch.
Read our Sony X90J series (2021) review.
$1,498 at Amazon $1,498 at Walmart $1,500 at Best Buy
Best design, features in a midpriced TV
Samsung Q60A seriesGeoffrey Morrison/CNET
Samsung is the TV brand that sells more TVs than anyone and one of the most popular is the Q60A series. Its sleek design stands out compared to the other TVs on this list -- although the ultra-thin OLED models are even sleeker -- it offers better features and image quality than budget models like the TCL 4-Series, and it comes in a vast array of sizes. The TVs above are all superior values, and the Sony X90J has a better picture, but if you want a Samsung TV and can't afford the QN90A, this is a great choice.
Sizes: 43-, 50-, 55-, 60- 65-, 70- 75-, 85-inch.
Read our Samsung Q60A series (2021) review.
$678 at Crutchfield $648 at Amazon $698 at Walmart
Other stuff to know about buying a new 4K TV
I'm pretty sure you'd be happy with any one of the TVs above, but a new set can be a big investment, so maybe you're looking for a bit more information. Here's a quick and dirty list.
- In my opinion, bigger is better. Big TVs are cheaper than ever and your money is best spent on large screen sizes rather than a slight upgrade in image quality.
- If you don't like the built-in smart TV system, you can always add a media streamer (like a Fire TV stick or Roku box). They're cheap and easy to use, and receive updates more frequently than most smart TVs. See our picks of the best media streamers.
- Most built-in speakers sound terrible, so it's worthwhile to pair your new set with a soundbar or other speaker system. Good ones start at around $100. See the best soundbars.
Looking for even more info? Here's everything to know about buying a new TV in 2021.
More guides for finding the perfect TV
- Best TVs for gaming with low input lag
- Best HDMI cables for your new 4K and HDR TV in 2021
- How Samsung QLED and LG OLED, the two best TV technologies, compare in 2021
- HDR formats like Dolby Vision, HDR10, Technicolor and HLG explained
- Best 75-inch TVs for 2021
- Best 65-inch TVs for 2021
- Best 32-inch TV for 2021
- How to buy a TV
- Best TV antennas for cord cutters, starting at just $10
- Best 55-inch TVs for 2021
- Best Dolby Atmos soundbar of 2021
- Budget hack: Replace Netflix and other pricey subscriptions with these free versions
Get CNET's comprehensive coverage of home entertainment tech delivered to your inbox.
Virgin Galactic postpones SpaceShipTwo flight, begins maintenance period
Волошина Екатерина Просмотров: 67
Orbit Fab signs technology sharing agreement with U.S. Air Force Research Laboratory
Волошина Екатерина Просмотров: 65
Maxar files protest over Space Development Agency’s satellite procurement
Волошина Екатерина Просмотров: 64
Space Force recruiters pitch military service to warriors and dreamers
Волошина Екатерина Просмотров: 58
Betting on flexibility: Intelsat’s post-bankruptcy growth strategy
Волошина Екатерина Просмотров: 34
A Chinese satellite is now active weeks after an anomaly during launch
Волошина Екатерина Просмотров: 32
Fledgling European space businesses still lacking the funds to fly
Волошина Екатерина Просмотров: 30
Investigations of U.S. Space Command’s basing decision to continue into 2022
Волошина Екатерина Просмотров: 30
Best 4K TV for 2021
Рустам Гулов Просмотров: 112
Best phones under $500 2021: iPhone SE, Galaxy A52 5G, Pixel and more
Рустам Гулов Просмотров: 93
The best 65-inch TV for 2021
Рустам Гулов Просмотров: 92
MDA highlights speedy tasking, broad coverage of Radarsat-2 follow-on
Волошина Екатерина Просмотров: 80
Has no connect to show!